Precautions To Be Taken On Floods
In any flooding or potential flooding event, the following actions should be taken:
Protecting your home
- Elevate the furnace, water heater, and electric panel if susceptible to flooding
- Install check valves in sewer traps to prevent floodwater from backing up into your home.
- Seal walls in basements with waterproofing compounds to avoid seepage.
- Keep an adequate supply of food, candles and drinking water in case you are trapped inside your home.
When a flood is imminent
- Listen to designated radio/TV emergency alert systems for emergency instructions.
- Secure/bring in outdoor furniture or other items that might float away and become a potential hazard.
- Move valuable items and papers/documents to upper floors.
During a flood
- Seek higher ground. Do not wait for instructions.
- Be aware of flash flood areas such as canals, streams, drainage channels.
- Be ready to evacuate.
- If instructed, turn off utilities at main switches and unplug appliances - do not touch electrical equipment if wet.
- If you must leave your home, do not walk through moving water. Six inches of moving water can knock you off your feet. Use a stick to test depth.
- Do not try to drive over a flooded road. If your car stalls, abandon it immediately and seek an alternate route.
After a flood
- Stay away from flood water - do not attempt to swim, walk or drive through the area
- Be aware of areas where water has receded. Roadways may have weakened and could collapse.
- Avoid downed power lines and muddy waters where power lines may have fallen.
- Do not drink tap water until advised by the Health Unit that the water is safe to drink.
- Once flood waters have receded you must not live in your home until the water supply has been declared safe for use, all flood-contaminated rooms have been thoroughly cleaned and disinfected, adequate toilet facilities are available, all electrical appliances and heating/cooling systems have been inspected, food, utensils and dishes have been examined, cleaned or disposed of, and floor drains and sumps have been cleaned and disinfected.